View Single Post
Old December 27, 2013, 03:28 PM   #40
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by 44 AMP:

The .30 Carbine was designed to be a replacement arm for the 1911A1 pistol, in the hands of service and support troops. Training someone to be able to actually make hits with the pistol at beyond point blank range is often a lengthy and time consuming matter. With a war on, troops that were NOT intended to be combat troops, yet still needing a weapon, were well served with a light carbine that they could make hits with out to 100yds or so when needed.

The Carbine quickly found favor with the combat troops, because it was light, held a lot of rounds (15) and was powerful enough to be useful in combat. Note that useful is not the same as efficient or highly effective.
My dad was a radioman in the 4th Marine Division during WWII. He earned the "expert" rifle marksmanship badge in basic and was originally issued a 1911 because of the 90# radio he carried on his back. Before his first beach landing, he was reissued the M-1 carbine. On the big ship gettin' ready to get on a LCVP for the first time at Saipan, a veteran of previous assaults advised him to drop the carbine first chance he got and take a Garand from the first fallen Marine he saw. So he did....... and again on Tinian and again on Iwo. Each time, before the landing, he was reissued a Carbine and he time he ditched it once he hit the beach. In the '60s when I fist started to hunt, the carbines were $79 a piece, your choice outta a barrel at the sporting goods section of Sears or Montgomery Ward. My dad would never let me get one, because of how ineffective he thought they were. Dunno if he ever witnessed this or it was just ship talk. During those same years anytime you heard more than 5 shots in rapid fire during deer season, you knew it was a M-1 Carbine. The only thing else than held more than 5 was the 30-30 and .32 levers, and they sounded different. Along with the notoriety for inaccuracy was the fact that the only available ammo at that time was FMJ...not really a good deer hunting round. This is where the talk of deer shot 12-15 times before they went down came into play.

Nowadays with better ammo it makes for more viable deer gun than it used to be, but it is still marginal IMHO. While I have always wanted one, even once I got old enough to buy my own, I never did, just outta respect for my old man. He was a fan of the 1911 tho.......

Page generated in 0.04304 seconds with 7 queries