View Single Post
Old October 17, 2013, 06:13 PM   #8
Kimber84

New to Bow Hunting.

I gotta agree, back tensions are going to give you better accuracy. However, for bowhunting I can't imagine anything better than a regular trigger release. But that's just me, I've been at it 17 years and killed a pile of deer with a bow.

The new fad seems to be high speed dual cam bows, me personally I've stuck with single cams ( Bowtechs (after 3 sets of limbs i'll never buy another)and more recently Mathews). The draw cycle is much smoother and that in and of itself lends well to bowhunting scenarios.

Another thing is don't let anyone talk you into a high end Mathews, Hoyt, etc. there are plenty of lower cost options that will get the job done for you. If its something you end up liking you can always pick up barely used bows for much lower cost than new. I generally keep a bow 4-5 years and then move on, although I do still have my original Proline Mountain bow and a Hoyt Stiker that I've kept in pristine condition. Like guns, there will be bows you come across that you'll never sell. Sentimental or just it being a great setup.

Find a good arrow combination and if you get serious about it learn how to tune your bow. If you plan on using regular broadheads some sort of tuning will almost be a necessity unless the bow is just luckily set up perfectly from the get go ( if so go buy a lottery ticket)

Have someone who knows their stuff teach you the basics and help you to prevent forming any sort of target panic ( a back tension will exploit target panic, one great thing about them, trigger release are where a lot of target panic spawns from) I've struggled with target panic myself, and I imagine about everyone who shoots a lot has experienced a form of it at one time or another.

Also, practice at longer ranges than you'll hunt at. I regularly shoot 50-60 yards. Doing this forces you to concentrate on your form and follow through. It'll teach you a lot about how you're progressing. Obviously you'll want to get proficient at 20-30 before going further, but you get the idea. After shooting at longer distances a typical hunting shot of 20-30 yards will feel natural.

Broadheads can be mind numbing trying to pick one. Any good head is going to get it done no matter how many horror stories you hear. Just like with a gun you gotta put it in the right spot.

I've used muzzy, slick trick, thunderhead, razorbacks ( throw back, remember those old heads?) montecs etc... After all those my favorite heads are the Wasp Hammers and Wasp Jak Hammers. I've killed over 30 deer with the Jak Hammers and I can honestly say I've never had to track more than a few of them. They've always worked great and have taken many good bucks for me... Obviously you put a razor blade through the boiler room it'll kill them no matter the brand. Wasp certainly isn't smeared all over every hunting show or storefront, but they make good products and fully stand behind them.

Bowhunting is certainly a passion of mine and I've luckily been blessed with great access to properties to hunt. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do.

Page generated in 0.04820 seconds with 7 queries