View Single Post
Old September 10, 2013, 01:11 PM   #22
dgludwig

I'd be more concerned as to when a Model 94 was made than I would if it was an angle-eject model or not; even if it had a cross-bolt safety or not. Model 94s made post 1964 ("Third Model") and up until sometime in the late sixties, were compromised with cheap production methods, including cast receivers that had a unique, blotchy finish that is almost impossible to re-finish and stamped parts that were previously machined/forged (i.e., the stamped lifter/carrier assembly). Model 94s made after 1968 (dubbed the 3a style), though not as well made as pre-64 94s, at least were now made sans stamped parts. What became known as the "Sixth Model" (6A-Angle Eject, 6B-Angle Eject with Button Safety and 6C-Angle Eject with Tang Safety), starting in 1983 at serial numbers around 5,300,000, were much better made rifles, according to the author of Winchester Model 94; A Century of Craftmanship, Robert C. Renneberg. Mr. Renneberg enthused: "...Another welcome feature (of Sixth Models) is the use of one hundred percent steel forgings in all angle-eject models. This (model was) a serious attempt at prduct improvement and show(ed) a real desire to return to that old-time Winchester quality..."

It's my opinion that every serious rifle aficionado should have at least one Modl 94 in their firearm inventory.

Page generated in 0.06005 seconds with 8 queries