View Single Post
Old September 10, 2013, 11:59 AM   #33
dgludwig

Quote:
One story: I was at the range about a year ago with it. I didn't pay much attention to my neighbors until I pulled the target it to clean up and go home. At 7 yards of two-handed moderate-rate firing, I had put 48 of my 50 rounds into the center 10/X ring of the 27222722 target target. Not exceptional for me. I used about 1/2 the 10X ring to do it, with about 38 of the 48 in the bottom half of the 10/X ring.

The guys next to me noticed the target and asked what I was shooting. I said 'Rock Island Tactical .45'. They commented I should be in a commercial. I then noticed what they were shooting: a Kimber model that was in the over $1000 range, and a Colt 1911a1 series 80. Both of these handguns cost about twice what my RIA did.

I then noticed their target. Same target. However, they had about 1/4 of shots into the X ring at the same 7yards, and the rest were scattered out to the 7 ring.
Your story only confirms that good scores are often the result of good shooting and not so much the result of a better gun. Which isn't to say that a better trigger, better sights and a more accurate barrel won't make a good shooter better. Only that there's no substitute for a proper stance and grip, breath control, trigger squeeze and correct sight alignment in terms of catching the X in a Bullseye.

Page generated in 0.05167 seconds with 7 queries