View Single Post
Old August 23, 2013, 08:10 PM   #4
barnbwt

Not to worry...

Quote:
I'll be looking into reaming out the barrel and having it sleeved for Tokarev (if shorter OAL bullets exist). That or getting a replacement barrel. The round is cooler, and the thicker sleeve would make me feel better, too (the barrel is pretty thin for a 9mm as is --about as thin as my CZ52 9mm conversion barrel). I would test this guy out this weekend, but there is no ammo to be had, hence the 7.62x25 in the clips. I'll wait for someone to sell both ammo and clips online and pick up some of each
I like tokarev, I'm investing heavily in it through several different platforms, and I'd love to add another to the stable if it isn't a major hassle or Bubba-mod. The latter is mostly contingent on finding ammo with a short enough AOL (I think hollow/flat points might just hack it, I only need 1mm or so), and the former on finding a replacement or spare barrel at some point.

For now, I will bide my time and spring for some Steyr food when it shows up. Until then, the old warhorse can sit there and look pretty

I'll never understand why the Germans went to the trouble of machining brand new barrels with all that tooling (granted it was left over in Austria), and didn't bother to figure a way to give it a detachable magazine. Would have absolutely given the Luger, the Brownings, and the 1911 a real run for their money (those designs have slightly better safeties, though). With good barrels, these guns are supposed to be pretty accurate, too, since they are machined fairly tight for guns of the era.

Quote:
A recent article on them repeated the old saw that the barrel was locked by the torque of the bullet engaging the lands
Wow, that's just stupid . Yeah, the gun is basically the Beretta PX4's great grand-pappy who fought in the war. Even the mode of takedown is similar, if not completly identical (remove a block at the front of the frame to free the slide), and the thumb safety is in the same spirit though frame-mounted.

TCB

Page generated in 0.04877 seconds with 7 queries