thallub closed a post as follows:
"i want that agency reformed."
Re that expressed desire, the following comes to my mind, other things might come to the minds of others:
1. That agency (BATFE) is far beyond "reform", partly because, as you noted, "oversight committees lack the stomach".
2. Additionally, empires have been built, they would, of needs, be destroyed.
3. A large number of "rice bowls" would need to be shaken, profoundly shaken.
4. Once again, one notes the lack of congressional stomach or integrity, whichever you might want to reference.
5. Perhaps a bit off point, but appropriate I think. Have you noticed the seemingly out of control growth of the TSA?