View Single Post
Old August 7, 2013, 09:14 AM   #16
Vanya
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanya
Their insurance company, on the other hand, can make them do anything it wants.
Not really. Could they require a sign saying "No Blacks" allowed, or "No Gays" Allowed, even "No Women" allowed? I think Not.
Sorry, but this is a false analogy. It should go without saying that an insurance company can't force a client to do something illegal. Those groups are protected classes under Minnesota law; concealed carry permit holders are not, and in any case, the sign is a ban on a class of inanimate objects, not a class of people. Businesses may, for example, require people to wear shirts or shoes; they have the option of conforming to the requirement if they really want to enter the premises -- or not.

None of this is to say that I approve; it seems very odd that a veterans' group wouldn't support gun rights, and I'm suggesting a possible explanation.

ETA: Brian, Minnesota has a strong civil rights law, and it would be very hard to justify any such discrimination in premises that are open to the public.

Last edited by Vanya; August 7, 2013 at 09:34 AM.

Page generated in 0.04632 seconds with 7 queries