View Single Post
Old August 6, 2013, 08:12 PM   #18
oldNewbie

I've read the posts in this forum and have questions.

I've reloaded thousands of rounds of .38 Special, and found that if I don't clean the primer pockets, sometimes I will get primers that don't seat deeply enough and will hang up the revolver cylinder. That's been the main bugaboo in my .38 reloads. I figured that deposits in the primer pockets kept the primers from fully seating.

I've just started reloading .45 ACP, and want my reloads to be as perfect as possible for firing in my Colt Government Model. So, in the 100 rounds I've reloaded, I was very careful to clean the primer pockets between decapping and priming, which creates an extra operation and takes more time. What I've read here indicates that .45 ACP is different and pocket cleaning is not so important.

I'm using a 4-hole Lee Deluxe turret press. I always use Factory Crimp dies in the fourth position because of experience with the .38 rounds. My questions are these:

Am I doing something wrong with the .38 Special, or could there be an issue with my equipment in seating primers? (Is there some adjustment I can make, to push the small pistol primer in deeper?)

Should I expect the same issue of seating depth with large pistol primers if I don't clean the pockets? From what I've read, cartridge overall length is more critical in a semi-auto for feeding, and brass length is critical for head-spacing. How critical is primer seating depth in a semi-auto?

Thanks in advance,

Page generated in 0.04775 seconds with 7 queries