View Single Post
Old July 27, 2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Andrew DG

Questions on reloading 45 ACP

Hello, I am a long time reader, first time poster. I am pretty new to reloading and have a few specific questions that I haven't been able to find answers to by using the search feature.

The first is about expanding 45 ACP brass. I have a friend who has been reloading longer than I have and he suggested that I fairly heavily deburr (maybe chamfer is the proper term here) the inside of every shell so that I hardly have to expand the brass at all in order to for it to accept the new bullet. I see his reasoning but it seems like removing material every time I reload would be worse for the brass than expanding and then removing the bell. I am just looking for some input on this method and whether or not it is a good idea. Is deburring (chamfering) necessary at all? Also, if someone could let me know when I should use the term chamfer as opposed to deburr, that would probably be helpful.

The second has to do with cleaning the brass. Should this be done before resizing and depriming? This same friend of mine suggested I resize and deprime first, so that the primer pockets get somewhat cleaned as well. Again, I see his point but it seems like running dirty brass through my resizing die can't be good for it.

This leads me to a related question. Is there any benefit to cleaning the primer pockets of this brass?

I don't know if any of this information will affect the answers I get, but I am loading Rainier 200 grain plated round nose bullets out of a Lee Classic 4 hole turret press with 4 grains of bullseye. Currently, only three of the four holes are occupied with a Lee Carbide 3 die set. I am cleaning the brass in a Lyman Turbo 1200 Tumbler with corncob media.

I am sure a lot of you have more experience than I do with this, so all of your input is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Page generated in 0.05405 seconds with 7 queries