Thread: Went to Maine
View Single Post
Old July 26, 2013, 09:49 AM   #21
Bill Akins

Doc, I was 5 years old in 1958, but I don't remember the Cheerios kid.
I remember Bucky Beaver of Ipana toothpaste..."Brusha brusha brusha, something, something, something, Bucky, Bucky beaver". I remember "Bosco" chocolate syrup that came in some kind of bear head (I think) shaped jar.
I remember Merthiolate, and Mercurochrome since we got scratched and cut a lot climbing trees and playing outside all the time in those pre-computer game days,

milk being delivered to our door by the milkman, the Fuller Brush salesman coming to our home when he made his traveling circuit, the man who traveled around neighborhoods with his pony to take pictures of little kids on the pony to sell to their parents, the circuit traveling "vegetable man" who drove his truck with the shelves of vegetables in the pickup bed to sell to the mom's in the neighborhood, the doctor making house calls to our home to cure my sister of an ailment one time, I remember my grandmother still had an ice box instead of a fridge and still got her ice delivered by the ice man,

and I remember Rice Crispies cereal because they always came with a prize like cracker jacks, Mattie Mattel shooten shell fanners and greenie stickum caps, hulu hoops when they first came out, Hamburger head "Speedy" McDonald who was the McDonald's character many years before Ronald McDonald, dollar a carload to get into the drive in movies, lucky strike cigarettes "LSMFT, Lucky Strike means fine tobacco, outstanding AND they are mild", 5 cent coke machines, and coke bottles in a metal six pack container/carrier before paper six pack holders, heavy stainless steel, soldered with lead on the seams, Coca cola ice chests for going to the beach (Parents kept that ice chest and I inherited it and gave it to my nephew who still has it),

Zorro, the Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, Tarzan, Heckle & Jeckle two black cartoon crows that spoke in an African American dialect (totally UN pc today), Mighty Mouse "Here I come to save the day! Mighty Mouse is on the way!" and various other things from the '50's that I can't recall at the moment, but for the life of me, I can't remember the Cheerios kid. Maybe if I saw the commercial again it would peak my memory. Cute saying though, "my trusty rifle is a trifle rusty". I just wonder if someone accidentally left their wet truffle on their trusty rifle if the truffle truly made their trusty rifle a trifle rusty?

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; July 26, 2013 at 10:34 AM.

Page generated in 0.04525 seconds with 7 queries