View Single Post
Old June 23, 2013, 02:48 PM   #1
Colt .38 Police Positive

Have an old Colt P.P. in .38 Special that I bought a couple of months ago for the main purpose of studying the action.

After studying the action, I have concluded that it is not very friendly to gun tinkerers. Comparing it to the S&W's, the action seems to be more complicated than the Smith & Wesson's that I am accustomed to working on. A smith seems to have parts that are more separate units, whereas the Colt seems to have just about every function inter-related.

Also, the Colt does not seem to offer as much opportunity for improvement as the S&W does... save for putting a bend in the mainspring.

Admittedly, I have not acquired the Kuhnhausen book on the double-action Colt. But, at this point, S&W's seem a whole lot more user friendly.

An aside: The gun was shooting about 6 inches to the left when I got it and discovered the front sight was a few degrees short of vertical. The gunsmith removed the barrel and took a few thousands off and set the barrel back one turn. However, now I cannot see any light between the end of the barrel and the cylinder. I can fit a .002 feeler in there but I think that the gap is a little too tight. Does anyone know what the specs are for the gap?

Any comments welcome.
Sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes you only pay more for what you get.
Three shots are not a "group"...they are a "few".

If the Bible is the literal, infallible, unerring word of God...where are all those witches I am supposed to kill? (Exodus 22:18)
Page generated in 0.03504 seconds with 7 queries