View Single Post
Old June 19, 2013, 02:19 PM   #96
Flyboy_451

Buck460XVR,

If you go back and reread my post, I said exactly why I chose a 250 grain bullet for the 460. It was because there seems to be a great number of people that tout the extreme velocities the 460 is capable of. Generally speaking, the lighter the bullet, the faster it can be pushed. Regardless of the bullet design, whether it be solid hardcast, or violently expanding and intended for thin skinned, light game, has no impact on ballistic coefficient. Two given bullets of the same caliber and weight will have BC numbers that are so close to each other that it would make little difference in trajectory or retained velocity.

High initial velocity does not necessarily equate to flat shooting at long range, as demonstrated with the charts I posted. You may also notice that the other loads I selected are not the pinnacle of performance for their respective cartridges. I have never argued that the 460 does not shoot flatter or hit harder than the 454. I was simply showing SOME of the characteristics of each cartridge. By looking at all of the data presented, anyone can see that the heavier bullet does very well in the 454 and thus, would also do very well in the 460. This is why I included the note about bullet interchangeability with the two cartridges. But, regardless of which cartridge is used, the flight path of the bullet must be considered when selecting a zero range and making decisions on realistic ranges to use each.

Not to worry, I'm not poo-pooing your pet cartridge or anyone else's choice. I'm just presenting a LIMITED amount of information from which other information can be derived. If you, or someone else, wants to compare every possible combination of bullet weights for each caliber, by all means, do so. I would encourage it.

TMD,

My "casual" mention of the energy levels? As stated in my post, this is a big gain in terminal energy. If your concern is only energy values, go pick an argument with someone else. I have no interest in rehashing a topic that has been argued over thousands of times. The energy values shown are simply there as a measurable comparison factor for those who care. I'm not one who places energy, or velocity for that matter, in the realm of awe and wonder. Experience leads me to believe that the potential of any load is determined by shot placement, bullet form and construction, bullet weight and diameter and impact velocity. As an example, if you were able to drive a needle at a velocity that produced 1,500 foot pounds of energy, I do not believe that it would have more killing potential than a good hardcast 45 caliber bullet delivering only 1,000 foot pounds of energy. Each facet plays a roll.

JW

Page generated in 0.04883 seconds with 7 queries