FWIW, ANY used S&W .22 DA revolver in decent condition is a minimum of $650 in my state (about 25 gunshops, big & small, which I check every-other-week).
In the past four years I have bought the following S&W 22lr revolvers (OTD prices):
1) 17-9 ($550 display model local shop)
2) 17-8 ($500 used local shop - full lug, alum cylinder)
3) 63-2 ($425 (traded a used M&P 9c for it at a gun show))
4) Pre-model 35 ($625 gunbroker, not in great condition, but very rare gun)
5) 617-? ($550 private sale, included speed-d-loader and loading blocks--didn't like the weight and sold it for same)
None of those felt like a great deal. A friend of mine two years ago found a 63-2 at a gun show and paid $325 for it OTD. I see well used model 17s going for well under $500 often (one was just sold for $485 delivered on the S&W gun boards http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-sa...2-c-r-spf.html
I bought an Iver Johnson Supershot 8 at a show last year for $145 and am going to rust blue it when I find the time. I'd like a 999, but unless it is immaculate with box, I don' think I'd pay more than $250 for one on a day that I really, really, really wanted to buy a gun. Other people seem to place more value on them, but that is the glory of the marketplace.