View Single Post
Old May 9, 2013, 12:07 AM   #25
Bart B.

Unclenick, your artwork is priceless. And very well layed out showing exactly what happens.

My only comment is that folks should not turn dies in presses more than 1/16th turn at a time. That'll move their height about .0045" which, as I think, is the most one should change die height to get the resized case headspace where it should be for the chamber it came out of. A 1/4 turn moves the die about .018". I don't want folks to end up with their resized cases' headspace being 5 to 6 thousandths too short.

And I think it's quite possible to have a crack of light between a shell holder and the bottom of a full length sizing die when its set in the press to set fired case shoulders back a couple thousandths; which is about right for all bottleneck cases. All of my six RCBS .308 Win. dies have that gap between their bottoms and the shellholder sizing fired cases that way for SAAMI spec chambers. This aside, if the die's headspace (shoulder to a touching shellholder) is at its long end of specs, the gap between shell holder and die bottom may well be extremely tiny and sometimes there's none.

Show 'em your die labels for different amouts of die height changes. The .002" and .004" ones are priceless and eliminates guessing on how much the die height's changed.
NRA Smallbore Prone Master

Page generated in 0.05147 seconds with 7 queries