View Single Post
Old May 8, 2013, 04:50 PM   #9
Spats McGee
Staff

Yes, the media and the anti-gunners are very, very busy making fun of us. They're not really any different from quite a few other groups in that they have adopted the following tactic: When reason and logic fail, make fun of the other side. That should tell you, though, that reason and logic fail to carry the day for the gun control crowd.

Yes, there's a war of perceptions going on. Just look at the language being used:
1) "reasonable restrictions" = "if you don't go along with them, you're not being reasonable"
2) "assault weapons" vs. "modern sporting rifle"
3) "high capacity magazines" = including the very same capacity that has come with Firearm X since it was introduced 20 years ago . . .

This is why I keep repeating the mantra that we have to be ambassadors. We cannot afford to come across as paranoid, delusional, gun nuts, or any of the other portrayals that are leveled against us.

As a counter-point to those portrayals, I offer this piece, credit for which I truly wish I could take:
Quote:
Why Carry a Gun Today

My old grandpa said to me “son, there comes a time in every man’s life when he stops bustin’ knuckles and starts bustin’ caps, and usually it’s when he becomes too old to take a whoopin’.

I don’t carry a gun to kill people. I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don’t carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don’t carry a gun because it makes me feel like a badass. I carry a gun because there are people who believe badasses have to carry guns.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don’t carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m angry. I carry a gun so that I don’t have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don’t carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m a cowboy. I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don’t carry a gun to make me feel like a man/woman. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don’t carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because I am inadequate.

I don’t carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.
Source: http://asp.militarygear.com/2013/01/...i-carry-a-gun/

All of those things ridiculed in the article may seem funny, until you honestly need, and I mean life-and-death kind of need, to use one of them.

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman

Page generated in 0.04433 seconds with 7 queries