View Single Post
Old April 24, 2013, 09:24 PM   #20
Captchee

if a person does their part ALL of them will hit much farther then most think.
history proves it right up through today . Even if your shooting off hand .
Here is a couple photos for you . The first is an off hand long range shoot which I won with my flintlock "open iron sights " with 5 shots , on target at 325 yards . Now let me say that at this even the target is a man sized target and your not scored for hitting a kill zone . Its just hitting the target which is about the size of a man from waist to shoulders .
I have not won that event for ?? 5 years I think . My average is 250 yards consistently .
2 years ago I got knocked out at 225 yards . 6 shooters went to 300 without missing and the final two were at 375 . 2nd place was defined by one of them having 1 miss at 375 . Again all off hand .
while you maynot be able to see the target in the phot , its in the treeline across the meadow

hopefully these photos will give a better idea of accuracy . Ill let you all count the range of this target which is a 10X10 plate
This was shot off hand by myself and another gentleman who was shooting a cap lock.
1 shot each was taken off hand and with iron sights . Just as with the above off hand event . We were shooting Round balls only
From the line to target

Myself

Witness and other shooter

Close up of target
Now the hit you see in the green is mine 54 Cal .
The other hit was actually a miss but LOL , the other shooter claimed he actualy hit a smaller target LOL . If you look closely you will see he cut the tape in the first link of the chain with his 50 cal ball

as to long barrel vs short ??? i think thats kinda personal preference.
At one time I would have agreed with it . However I have found differently through the years . Here in where I hunt , I can easily find myself in very thick lodge pole or completely over grown ash .
I don’t find a long gun to be any different in those situations then a good brush gun

Weight wise ??/ it depends on the gun you could be looking at 6-8lbs . But that weight is most times balance so you don’t feel it in the carry like you do a heavy short barreled ½ stock OR a poorly balanced modern bolt action which is muzzle light and thus in a short while you have it slinged over your shoulder .

In the end , regardless’ of what you chose . Your only going to be as good with the gun as you are in familiarity of the gun itself . doesnt mater if your target shooting or hunting

Last edited by Captchee; April 24, 2013 at 09:31 PM.

Page generated in 0.04489 seconds with 7 queries