View Single Post
Old April 19, 2013, 09:05 PM   #27
scrubcedar

Those of you who have been through these discussions in different threads here know my opinion on this. I think temporary involuntary inpatient treatment, with full restoration of rights available once the treatment has been shown to be effective is the tool that is missing in these scenarios.

That being said, can anyone here prove to me that restrictions on purchasing firearms through the retail system is effective in keeping obsessed people with mental disorders who are in the general population from getting the guns they want?

I have dealt with obsessed patients that were so bad they needed a locked, controlled environment. Obsession, combined with even an average intelligence is a powerful, devious, and effective source of trouble.
The first part of my nursing career was spent in ER's. I gained a lot of experience with addict and psych patient behaviour. The second part I was in the other end of trauma nursing so to speak, spinal cord and brain injury. The brain injuries quite often spent time in locked units as they were healing. Even with the deficits that came with the brain injuries quite often they were more than a match for us because they were obsessed with escape.

Page generated in 0.04788 seconds with 7 queries