View Single Post
Old April 17, 2013, 09:09 AM   #244
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kochman
@Z
You're seriously telling me that laws don't exist to encourage good behavior by discouraging bad behavior?
Federal, state, or local?
No.

Words have meaning. If you would like to have a conversation about what you have proposed, it would help if you observe the meaning of the words you read.

Asking me if I am "telling" you something I have nowhere and in no way told you does not indicate due attention to the text of our discussion. Moreover, it is not responsive to the invitation you have been provided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuk
"Encouraging the right thing" is not a sufficient basis for a new federal law that expands federal authority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuk
Quote:
Actually, it is. It's the reason for most criminal laws, to discourage people from being criminals/engaging in bad/irresponsible behavior (like selling guns to strangers without knowing a thing about them and assuming they are legit)... I thought this common knowledge.
You are mistaken.

The federal Constitution sets forth a system of enumerated federal powers and a Bill of Rights detailing specific rights held by individuals against the federal government.

There is no provision of the federal Constitution or federal case law indicating that "encouraging the right thing" suffices as an independent basis for federal authority.

If you believe otherwise, I invite you to reproduce that portion of the Constitution or federal case law.
Emphasis added. I will offer my invitation in a different form.

I challenge you to provide a provision of the federal Constitution or federal case law indicating that "encouraging the right thing" suffices as an independent basis for federal authority.

Page generated in 0.04589 seconds with 7 queries