View Single Post
Old April 14, 2013, 06:53 AM   #19
Sarge

PT145 'Grunge Report'

Last winter, I was given some cruddy .45 ammo by a guy I know. Turns out to be 43 rounds of turned-black R-P ball and Federal 230 grain HydraShok.

I says “Mike, you’ve got a Glock 21, why don’t you shoot it up?” Nuh-uh. He goes in to tell me the ammo was salvaged from a shed that burnt down and this is what didn’t cook-off. He thinks it was exposed to weather for about six months before the debris was cleared & figured I might want it for the brass. I hate using a bullet puller… so I’ll use it to torture-test a gun.

Didn’t really have anything I wanted to shoot it in, then this PT145 arrives and I’m thinking “Why not?” I just added a Hogue grip sleeve and it was time for another pic, anyhow.

Some of this stuff is too nasty to chamber, so I dump it all in a grease-rag-towel, sprayed it down with CLP and rolled the contents around for a minute to de-crud it.

I headed down in the field and I stapled up a target. I knew I’d be clearing dud rounds, so I repaired to my improv folding table at the 25 yard stake. About half the R-P didn’t fire, even under the awesomeness of the PT’s ‘second strike' feature. When that was gone I turned to the Hydra Shoks and every one of them went BANG. Only hang-up occurred when some really nasty HydraShock hung in the magazine; but a smack with my off hand jarred it loose and it fed on up. This ammo was a mess but it still didn’t shoot too badly.

I figured since the gun was getting dirty anyway, I might as well try a CCI shot load in it. This was from about 12 feet and I believe it will zap a snake just fine. While the PT's shallow rifling insures it is never going to be a target pistol, it makes it a passable mini-shotgun.

“Nine-tenths of tactics are certain, and taught in books: but the irrational tenth is like the kingfisher flashing across the pool, and that is the test of generals. It can only be ensured by instinct, sharpened by thought practicing the stroke so often that at the crisis it is as natural as a reflex.” ~ T. E. Lawrence

Last edited by Sarge; April 14, 2013 at 06:59 AM.

Page generated in 0.06450 seconds with 7 queries