View Single Post
Old April 11, 2013, 10:52 PM   #27
Pathfinder45

It will do.....

I really don't believe that the 7mm magnum is all that much more gun than a 30-'06 or even a 270 Winchester. Put a slip-on recoil pad on it, That will lengthen it a little but y'all are pretty tall anyway, right? If you are shooting reloads, try to find an accurate load using 160 grain bullets at about 2700-2800 fps to slow it down a little, further reducing recoil if you're worried about it. As far as meat damage goes, it can be eliminated entirely by not shooting them in the meat. A broadside lung shot is best for that. Don't take 400 yard shots at deer unless you can sit on the ground or kneel and hit five straight milk jugs filled with water at that distance without missing. And you better be able to estimate or laser the range when it's that far out. What if you guessed it was 450 yards and it was really 285? And when you practice, shoot standing, kneeling, and perhaps sitting. Shooting off a bench or pick-up hood is only good for testing rifle and ammunition to verify impact at given ranges. It's worthless for practice. Use milk jugs filled with water starting at 100 yards and various and uncertain ranges out to 400 or more yards. At the 100 yard jugs, shoot only from the standing, off hand positon. When you get to where you can't hit them, go to the kneeling position. When they are too far away to hit reliably kneeling, try the sitting position. When they are too far to hit sitting, then that's way too far to take a shot at game. Bring lots of jugs and lots of ammo. Then when you are hunting and see a 400 yard deer, stalk closer. You won't shoot better than you have practiced. Lose the Bic-clik. Get a bolt action .22 LR rifle and shoot it a lot every time you practice. Soup cans at 75-100 yards standing and kneeling. This will save centerfire ammo and cure flinching. But the trajectory of .22 rimfire ammo means you shouldn't use it much beyond 100 yards a lot or you might develop a habit of holding way over your target at longer ranges. Like O'Connor, I'd recommend you zero your 7mm's at about 275 yards. I'd rather have a 30-'06 or preferably a 270 than a magnum but what you have will do just fine.

Page generated in 0.04117 seconds with 7 queries