View Single Post
Old April 8, 2013, 01:50 AM   #1
Nate_Sandback

Muzzle Velocity Slower than it should be

My Muzzle velocity is seeming to be much slower than it should be.
In search for a pet load for my Remington 700 SPS in .308Win
i did a fair share of load testing, and compared to all of the reloading manuals, everything I was delivering was significantly slower than multiple reloading manuals document. Case in point, my current load i settled with due to its Sub MOA performance is a 168gr Barnes TTSX with 43.5gr of Varget loaded at 2.830" COL in Nosler Competition Brass and CCI 200 Primers, and the velocities from the last test were:

The Chrony was out about 10' from the bench, temperature was probably at about 20F, Altitude is around 700, humidity was around 50%

According to the Barnes Reloading Manual and Hodgdon my muzzle velocity should be around 2650, but those are indicated loads at 2.810"
I haven't tried loading at Saami specs because the TTSX as an all copper bullet its pretty long and the ogive is pretty far back and I want to get it as close to the lands as my internal magazine allows.

The only thing I have tried so far is to strip the barrel to ensure there's no fowling slowing things down, but i am coming up short with ideas.

Has anybody else ever had this problem or any ideas how to troubleshoot or fix this? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Page generated in 0.05689 seconds with 7 queries