View Single Post
Old April 2, 2013, 04:59 AM   #27
Doc Hoy

Because I am retired Navy...

...I can get medical testing done, almost just by asking for it.

I mentioned to my caregiver that I do a lot with molten lead, that I handle lead more than the average bear. I asked what the hazards are and how does one test to see if I need to be concerned.

She ordered a blood test and the results were that my lead levels are smack in the middle of the normal range.

I have a faculty member working for me who is a medical doctor. He validated my caregiver's test and when I gave him my results he stated that my level was completely normal.

When I cast or smelt, I certainly could use stricter precautions. I always work in a ventilated area with cross ventilation. I don't always use a mask. I wash my hands carefully after casting or smelting, but not during the process. I never use gloves. For me, gloves make the process more dangerous due to the risk of spillage.

I have eye protection which I think is important.

I recommend that anyone who decides to do their own bullets be far more prudent than I am. I am too fool-hearty for my own good. It is just the way I am.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Page generated in 0.04187 seconds with 7 queries