View Single Post
Old April 1, 2013, 12:44 AM   #50
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulgary
If the can't pull a 12 pound trigger on a revolver then I seriously doubt they will be able to quickly perform a failure drill on an autoloader.
And they will most likely have a problem with limpwristing their pistol.

Besides, even though it is certainly not ideal, they can always shoot the revolver single action.

I've trained quite few newbies, but I've never met one who couldn't shoot a revolver DA.
Thanks for the response. But --
  1. As an NRA certified instructor for the last several years I've worked with a group putting on monthly NRA Basic Handgun classes. In that time, we've trained several hundred people, almost all of whom were complete beginners. Roughly 30% have been women.

2. As part of our class students, after shooting the qualification with .22s have the opportunity to shoot a couple 9mm auto-loaders, a couple .40 S&W auto-loaders, a couple .45 ACP auto-loaders and revolvers in both .38 Sp/.357 Magnum and .44 Sp/.44 Magnum. We've never had anyone display "limp wristing" problems. We've had a number of students, both men and women, who had difficulty with the DA pulls on the DA revolvers (and also on the DA/SA semi-autos).

3. As for using a DA revolver in SA mode, here's what pax (Kathy Jackson) wrote in post 6:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pax
    ...(Lots of reasons not to use revolver in SA mode for self-defense -- safety and speed the most important of those.)....
    Ms. Jackson is certainly a recognized expert in training women in defensive handgun use.

4. Pressing a long, heavy trigger on a revolver and performing a failure drill on an auto-loader are completely different physical acts, and one's ability or inability to do one can not be considered predictive of one's ability or inability to do the other. There are revolvers whose triggers cause me difficulties, but I can do failure drills on an auto-loader just fine.

5. The first order of business is to get the student to be able to shoot reliably and accurately. Failure drills come somewhat down on the list.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.05002 seconds with 7 queries