View Single Post
Old March 29, 2013, 11:53 AM   #18
Fingers McGee

I'm frugal like Doc; but I'm also lazy so

I buy my wads prelubed in bulk (1k pkgs). I've tried the punching wads, mixing my own lube, and soaking the wads and find it messy, cumbersome and time consuming. I'd much rather be attending a match and some shooting. I shoot CAS matches three out of four weeks a month and between March and October go through over 2000 rounds at matches. Purchased wads are more consistent as to amount and type of lube and only add about $.045 per shot when bought in bulk. I also buy my caps in bulk so they run $5.25 per 100 after shipping.

I'll second what Doc Hoy says. He's given you some good information.

I use subs as well as real BP, from time to time. One of the advantages to using substitutes is that you do not have to use BP lubed bullets in cartridges. T7 is hotter than BP, so you can use less and get good results. APP can be used as a direct replacement for BP; it's dustier and is inconsistent when loading BP cartridges though IME. I can't comment on any of the pyrodex grades since I haven't used any in many years.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Page generated in 0.04699 seconds with 7 queries