View Single Post
Old March 29, 2013, 10:43 AM   #17
Doc Hoy

I can squeeze a nickel until the buffalo s ___ ts

and therefor I like to make my own from the cheapest material I can find.

That is a 100% wool felt hat that you can find at thrift shops for about three bucks. You want it to be a man's hat since the felt in a man's hat is much more dense than a woman's hat. Check it out. You'll see what I mean. One hat will make about a billion wads.

You can also get "Durofelt" which is very good. Thicker than hat material and consequently makes a more substantial wad. I don't know a good source for Durofelt but I am sure someone will wade in with a link or something. (Mykeal, Gary, What do you think?)

As regards fit I think that slightly oversized is better than slightly undersized.

I bought a set of punches from Horrible Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece...-set-3838.html

The 7/16 is a little small for .44 and .45 and the 1/2 is a little large. I think the 1/2 inch is the choice.

The 3/8 is perfect for .36 cal and for .38 and 357 BPCR

5/16 is good but not perfect for .31.

You can go to Dixie Gun Works and buy special punches at about ten bucks a piece but the tightwad in me recoils in horror at the thought.

In addition, the wad punches that you get specifically for that purpose do not chuck into a drill press. They are made for use with a hammer. These punches from Harbor Freight work either way.

As regards thickness, the durofelt that folks like to use is (IIRC) 1/8 inch. This is thicker than hat felt and what it means is that you have to use two hat felt wads to get good lubrication.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Doc Hoy; March 29, 2013 at 10:49 AM.

Page generated in 0.04239 seconds with 7 queries