View Single Post
Old March 28, 2013, 10:10 AM   #30
Picher

You're "young" in gun-ownership, so are looking at the glitzy guns that shoot a lot of ammo in a short time. They're also very pricey these days and ammo is pretty scarce and may be for a while.

If I were starting over, I'd strongly consider a bolt-action in .22-250 with a medium-powered variable scope (3-9X). You'll love shooting the low-recoiling, but quite impressive, flat-shooting and accurate cartridge and ammo is more readily available than for primarily semi-auto calibers.

I've had .22-250s and used them for target shooting, varmint and deer hunting. It's really amazing to take one to the range and make 5/8" groups at 200 yards, then go out woodchuck hunting and shoot them at impressive distances from different positions, including offhand, prone with bipod, and sitting. A 55 grain bullet leaving the muzzle at 3,650 is quite impressive on all kinds of targets!!! Mine won many paper-target turkey shoots too.
People are like rifles. Some are tried and true, having great eyes, personality, and fun to be with. Others never seem to hit the mark with you. Still others go off half-cocked. Still, it's nice to know most of them.

Page generated in 0.04301 seconds with 7 queries