View Single Post
Old March 26, 2013, 04:55 AM   #12
Rattle Battle

Army issue 1911 was notoriously loose. They rattled.
Another myth with no basis in fact, largely perpetrated by those who've never handled one that wasn't nearly worn out.

I have in my possession, a "Black Army" Colt manufactured in March 1919. Either it was issued to a high-ranking officer and rarely fired, or it was liberated early on. There is no rattle. When the pistol is dry, pulling hard on the slide reveals a barely discernible amount of play. With oil in the rails, it disappears. As nearly as I can determine, the pistol is original/correct except for the springs that I replaced.

From the bags, the pistol will keep all its shots inside a 4-inch circle at 50 yards with factory hardball, and it'll break 3 inches with my 200-grain cast SWCs and 4 grains of Bullseye...and it'll feed'em as readily and as reliably as it will feed hardball....and it'll do it from the original/correct magazine....also with a new spring. Hollowpoints are also no problem for the old girl.

I also have a 1945 production Remington Rand that was as near-new as any USGI pistol I've seen. Its fit and accuracy is on par with the 1919 Colt...including the reliability with cast SWC and hollowpoints.

Before anybody develops a case of the vapors over my firing these collectibles...they haven't been fired much. Mostly to determine functionality and for testing.
If your front porch collapses and kills more than three dogs...You just might be a redneck
Page generated in 0.03296 seconds with 7 queries