View Single Post
Old March 24, 2013, 03:33 PM   #1
everest

Thompson Center Encore - Sticking Brass in .223

Yesterday I shot a brand new Encore Pro Hunter w/ an equally new .223 barrel for the first time. The good news is that the combo is insanely accurate. nice tight 1" groups at 100 yards, 2" or so at 200 yards. So great news there. The immediate problem I noticed was that fired brass simply does NOT want to come out of this barrel. The extractor pin pulls the brass back as one would expect but from there is requires pliers or at least a flathead screwdriver and a very strong thumb to get the brass out of the gun. New cartidges go in/out quite smoothly but fired brass is incredibly sticky. The extractor pin also leaves a nice score mark on the brass as it is extracted.

At the suggestion from another forum I marked a piece of brass with a sharpie marker, which would appear to confirm that the brass is rubbing towards the tail end of the cartridge (primer end) with rub points mainly on the extractor pin and the top of the chamber. My current suspicion is that the extractor pin is simply too long and applies excessive force on the cartridge, but I'm open to suggestions on how to deal with this. Any input or ideas would be more welcome. Thank you!

-Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 223 Brass.jpg (220.9 KB, 43 views)

Page generated in 0.04853 seconds with 8 queries