View Single Post
Old March 24, 2013, 01:20 AM   #7
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK71

My gun or my mistake?
Went to the range with the wife today and was shooting her SR22, when I encountered my first trigger pull without a discharge. I treated it like a misfire but was sure the last round was successful. I released the magazine and made sure a round wasn't chambered. I had loaded 10 rounds and thought six shots were fired, which was confirmed when I counted the holes in my target and the four remaining rounds in the magazine. So it seems like it was a misfeed from the magazine into chamber. After doing some searching on the web I couldn't find this as a typical misfire/misfeed. When I put the magazine back in the gun, the next round fired DA and the rest of the magazine fired with no problems.
The only omission I see in your narrative of events was visually or mechanically checking the barrel to ensure there was no obstruction in barrel or chamber.

I other words, I think you did well.

I am not familiar with the SR22. But I know a little bit about auto-loaders.

If there is a magazine safety, the magazine might not have been seated fully. A partially seated magazine might enable the mag safety, thus allowing firing, but eventually, the mag works out a little more and the mag safety then detects "no magazine" and disables the gun. Thus you have a trigger pull, but no hammer/striker fall. (Did you notice while you were manipulating the gun and counting rounds whether the striker/hammer was still cocked?).

That which I just described is only one possibility.

It is possible that with the sixth round, the empty case was ejected and the next round simply failed to strip from the magazine and the slide/bolt closed on an empty chamber. This could be caused by an overly strong recoil spring or, more likely, slide movement inhibited by fouling in the recoil spring or most likely a weak cartridge (even the best factory with good quality control can let a bad one sneak through every once in a while) that was powerful enough to send the bullet to the target but without enough power to fully cycle the action.

There are probably more possibilities than I can imagine.

Clean the gun (and magazines). Check that the magazines function properly and feed cartridges reliably and go forth and shoot. Keep track of which magazine was used each time (if) it happens again. Magazine malfunctions are the most common cause of auto-loader feeding problems.

Good luck.

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.04685 seconds with 7 queries