View Single Post
Old March 23, 2013, 09:35 AM   #4
Sarge

Welcome, Deadeye.

The RIA Compact is essentially a knock-off of the old Colt Officer series, sans the firing pin block. I've been a police firearms instructor and armorer since the early 90's, when the Colt Officer was pretty popular among coppers in my area. They were good guns, but had a few quirks.

Chief among them was the recoil spring system, which used a delicate little plug. It would frag out and scatter in front of the gun. My solution to this was to install a reverse-plug system that bore against the entire recoil spring tunnel at the rear. These always came with a guide rod, which in this particular size of 1911 is a good thing.

I note that Rock Island Compacts come with their own version of this system. Any 1911 this size might require a little tweaking, but this is one less thing to go wrong. My experience with their other 1911's has been pretty good and I wouldn't be afraid to buy a RIA Compact.
“Nine-tenths of tactics are certain, and taught in books: but the irrational tenth is like the kingfisher flashing across the pool, and that is the test of generals. It can only be ensured by instinct, sharpened by thought practicing the stroke so often that at the crisis it is as natural as a reflex.” ~ T. E. Lawrence

Page generated in 0.03322 seconds with 7 queries