View Single Post
Old March 21, 2013, 02:20 PM   #17
BigJimP

Try a 2 hand grip ....I'm right handed..so...

a. lay the gun in the palm of your right hand...muzzle to the left (make sure its unloaded of course)...

b. push the slide back with left hand ...and wrap 3 fingers from right hand over top of the slide / thumb on right hand around the grip under the hammer...( kind of like a "claw" ...or its called the old "armors grip"...) to control the gun with 2 hands - and defeat the spring pressure.

c. When you have it solidly in both hands - now its easy to control the slide - and either lock the slide back....or if your hands are not too small, you can hold the slide fully back / and unlock the lever holding it on...( its not just an issue for ladies / I have young grandkids male and female, that I teach this grip to - for taking a gun down for cleaning ..) ...

and even though I'm 6'5" and 290 lbs arthritis in my hands and especially my fingers has taken a toll ...its hard for me some days too ...on a .45 acp or even a .40 S&W caliber weapon....

If you get someone to show it to you ...3 or 4 times, its pretty easy ...( any of us at your local range, that look like we're probably over 50 yrs old ) ...and shoot a lot of 1911's ....have probably used this old "Armor's Grip 100,000 times"...just in last 2 or 3 yrs...

Yes, the recoil springs on most any gun in .45 acp ...makes them a little tougher to manipulate than a typical or similar gun in 9mm..../ and its worse as the spring weights go up ( 18 lb is tougher than a 16lb, etc ) and I don't know what they shipped your gun with ....but go to an XDM forum, and they'll probably discuss spring weights on those guns ( us 1911 guys debate spring weights like politics ...and we don't agree on anything...)...and it varies by velocity of round, weight of bullet, etc...

Last edited by BigJimP; March 21, 2013 at 02:27 PM.

Page generated in 0.04850 seconds with 7 queries