View Single Post
Old March 19, 2013, 01:42 PM   #60
Picher

In the seventies, I had one that I used for police carry and for police combat. I liked the single-action, but the double-action is not as good as the S&W because it's a single-lever system and tends to get heavier through the pull. The Smith has a gear-effect that maintains nearly the same DA pull throughout and releases smoothly. The Python trigger tends to move rearward after the DA releases. I slicked mine up and it shot well, but best of all was the way it pointed for me. I could hit pretty well from the hip.

Since the introduction of the L-Frame S&W, it's no-contest as far as shooting goes. Unfortunately, Pythons are a collector's item, not as much a shooter's gun these days.

I have two K-Frame Model 19s that I even like to shoot better than I did my Python, but the L-Frame guns are better shooters that either.

BTW, I found my papers for the Python that was purchased about 1972 and I paid $275 for it. I wouldn't pay $900 for one today...but that's me.
People are like rifles. Some are tried and true, having great eyes, personality, and fun to be with. Others never seem to hit the mark with you. Still others go off half-cocked. Still, it's nice to know most of them.

Page generated in 0.04801 seconds with 7 queries