View Single Post
Old March 18, 2013, 07:46 PM   #110
This has developed into an interesting thread.

I like my 1911 and my SA/DA autos, I like my DA revolvers and crazy me will carry a SA revolver too. At least I'm not the only crazy. Heck, maybe you are the only sane person around Nanuk.
I agree and I think you should carry what you feel comforable with. However, Nanuk is basically saying that a SAA is a handicap when compared to most other handgun types. Of course we should assume that newfrontier45 is good with a SAA, but Nanuk's point is why would you handicap yourself? Of course perhaps he would win a gun fight with the SAA, but its not as good as a quality DA revolver or most semi autos when talking handgun vs handgun. Of course, as Newfrontier45 pointed out, more goes into a gunfight than just the gun itself.

In my opinion, the amount of time spent on mastering the SAA, and mastering its use as a CW, the time could have been spent mastering a more advanced handgun type, which overall, I think is Nanuk's point here.

In the end, Newfrontier45 may never need better than a SAA, and perhaps you won't either wyobohunter. As for me, I would rather have the most current platform available that I am skilled with, which IMO increases my odds of survival.

Imagine briefly that the perp is really good with his glock, equal in skill to someone with a SAA. At that point, the SAA guy needs a little luck IMO or perhaps a mistake by the glock guy. If the skills are equal, the handgun type comes much more into play. So do you expect to be a better gunman than your adversary? Since its my life on the line, I don't want to assume anything. I don't want to have any disadvantage at all, at least any avoidable one. I'd rather have a more advanced handgun and hope that my adversary has the less advanced version. Of course that doesn't guarantee anything, but I think it helps.

No one is wrong here either. Everyone has to do what they feel is best, and everyone is free to choose.
Winchester 73, the TFL user that won the west

Last edited by Winchester_73; March 18, 2013 at 07:57 PM.
Page generated in 0.04990 seconds with 7 queries