View Single Post
Old March 17, 2013, 10:30 AM   #15
I currently use a 1911 45 cal five inch barrel, but this weighs about 3.5 lbs including holster & extra mag. Is there something lighter to carry and still have penetration to stop a 300 lb hog?
The biggest hog I ever killed field-dressed at over 350 lbs (the limit of the scale). I dropped him with a .22LR at a range of about 15 feet. He looked up at me and I popped him in the center of the forehead. He dropped like a switch had been thrown and it took four of us to drag him out of the thicket to where we could get him on a vehicle. We weighed him back at camp, sans his innards and that's when the topped-out the scales.

The guys I used to hunt with, though favored something a little heavier for hog hunting on horseback. Almost every one of them carried the .22WM. Headshots only, preferably when the hog is looking at you. Draw an imaginary X from eyes to ears and put a bullet in the center of the X. They drop right there.

The problem comes when you try to take a shoulder shot. If the hog's been running wild for a while, he'll have a big shield of matted hair, gristle, and pine sap over the shoulder area. However, the head shot offers the best chance of anchoring him on the spot.
Dennis Dezendorf
Page generated in 0.06174 seconds with 7 queries