View Single Post
Old March 14, 2013, 04:00 AM   #2
Sevens

Back when I first got in to shooting (late 80's), Black Hills was a re-man company, they made "factory reloads" from good brass. Their ammo always ran well for me and was the cheapest "factory" ammo I could find at the gun store. I bought many blue boxes, mostly .38 Special but I even managed to find a box of 10mm.

At some point, Black Hills moved away from re-man and became a *NEW* ammo manufacturer. And their stuff gets used a lot in feature articles in gun magazines.

Now I'm all for an American manufacturer in the heart of the nation taking a nice share of the pie, especially as ATK grows ever larger by the moment. (oops, they just bought ANOTHER company while I was typing...)

I'll admit straight away that as a knee-deep, hardcore hobbyist handloader, I just don't shop for factory ammo. I don't, almost at all, outside of carry gun ammo and rimfire. But I spend a LOT of time at ranges, picking up brass, and checking the trash cans for brass and trays that I can use. So while I'm not hitting every gun shop in town and going through their expensive factory ammo offerings -- there are few people who see the remnants of everyone else's factory ammo purchases as often as I do.

I don't see empty boxes of Black Hills ammo anywhere...ever. Are they headstamping their brass with a BH or BHA? Because I have more brass on hand than anyone who doesn't handload would ever understand across more different calibers than what the average buying public would even recognize and I don't have Black Hills brass, either.

Page generated in 0.04875 seconds with 7 queries