View Single Post
Old March 13, 2013, 04:38 PM   #34
hornetguy

I've used my SKS for hogs a couple of times, with the 123gr softpoints, and it's a little on the light size for the moderate (150lb) sized ones. Now, if I had used the 150gr softpoints, it might have made a big difference.
Florida is not the only state with small whitetails.. Texas has millions of them. Literally. There ARE some bigger deer down here, but for the most part they are about 100-120 lb field dressed. I plan to take the SKS for deer the next time I go, but it will be with the 150gr bullet load, which chrono'd about 2100fps out of my Norinco.
The biggest drawback on the SKS is the moderate difficulty in getting a scope mounted SOLIDLY on it. The receiver cover mounts just have too much movement in them to be repeatable. I got one of the mounts that requires you drill and tap through the side of the receiver, and it was pretty nice. What I found out was that at the ranges I would be shooting deer, I could shoot pretty much the same size group with the open sights as I could with the cheap scope I mounted on it. It might very well be different with a better quality scope, but I haven't tried it.
For 100yd shots at smaller deer, I think it would be difficult to find a better autoloader in that price range. Mine has NEVER failed to fire. Never. It is just utterly dependable. Not target accurate, but definitely deer accurate.

Page generated in 0.04784 seconds with 7 queries