View Single Post
Old March 6, 2013, 11:52 AM   #97
TunnelRat

As I've said I totally understand the people that have concerns with the grip safety and I think most of those concerns are valid, though I did want to reiterate something.

I handle my firearms a lot, notably dry firing for hours each day (my wife works nights). In my handling with the XD/XDm line I have made an effort to see at what points the grip safety won't engage. I would do this with live ammo, but 1. it's not exactly advisable 2. I don't have a private range and I am not going to put others at risk. In all my efforts the only times I have been able to get the grip safety to not engage are when I have an extremely loose hold on the firearm.

Now you might say, "you're not always going to get a perfect grip". And frankly you're right. But there's a big difference between "not perfect" and what I've personally seen. The times when the safety won't engage I have such a loose hold on the firearm that regardless of whether or not it was an XD/XDm I imagine one of the two things would happen: 1. I would get a limpwrist malfunction 2. I might actually lose my grip on the firearm entirely and drop it. To me these are facts that lessen my concern over the grip safety. As far as, "what if your hand is injured?". As I mentioned above, I can get the grip safety to engage with only using my thumb and index finger to actuate the firearm (though at that point I transition the firearm to my off hand anyway, but if both my hands get shot yes I can still pull the trigger).

If people choose to not use the XD/XDm line, I completely understand. But for others out there interested in it, I hope my comments help.

Page generated in 0.06238 seconds with 7 queries