View Single Post
Old March 1, 2013, 05:51 PM   #64
MLeake

rodfac,

Thanks for the kind words.

For the last 16+ years, a significant percentage of my workout partners have been cops and corrections officers. With that crowd, you would probably guess that a lot of focus is on weapon retention and takeaway, and you would be correct.

Doing lots of disarm drills with various melee weapons and with blue guns has really been an eye opener.

One thing it has taught me is that I don't want to mess with trying to chamber a round when under the stress of an attack.

Another thing it has taught me is that if you have to think about what to do, you are going to have serious problems. Also, if you decide in advance what to do, you may have serious problems - each scenario unfolds as it will, so trying to force a particular technique or motion may be foolhardy.

So, training to get out of the way of the attack, or to block or jam the attack, or to deflect the attack, plus combinations of the above while drawing is useful - but for it to work consistently well, reflex has to be conditioned.

If somebody comes at me, my feet are moving. Which way will they move? Don't know until the guy comes at me, but I can guarantee I won't stand still.

My off-hand will be busy either striking the attacker, deflecting an attack, or helping block off a path as I move around it. Which will it be? Again, don't know until it happens, but my off-hand will be busy.

Whichever way I end up moving, I'll be trying to keep my draw hand on the far side of me from the attacker until the weapon is drawn and ready to go. This will be accomplished by movement of the feet and hips, which allows much more power and balance than just trying to muscle away with my arm.

It's a body unity thing.

Nowhere in any of those possible permutations, though, do I see good odds of using the off-hand to chamber a round.

Regards,

M

Page generated in 0.04586 seconds with 7 queries