View Single Post
Old February 28, 2013, 08:36 AM   #50
OldMarksman

Quote:
Posted by Daekar: My Dad carries with an empty chamber always, no matter whether the gun has a manual safety or not.
We of course always hope that no one is ever the victim of a criminal attack, but with his self-chosen disadvantage, it is even more important for him.

Quote:
Do what you feel comfortable doing and practice whatever you do so that you're good at it.
One's feeling of comfort has nothing to do with preparedness--unless one feels somewhat more comfortable because one knows that the question of maximum preparedness can be a matter of life and death, and one acts accordingly.

Quote:
It's unlikely you'll ever need that gun in the first place, and even then it's likely you won't even need to do more than draw and aim it,...
In risk management, it is not appropriate to base one's decisions regarding mitigation on the cumulative probability. Rather, the conditional probability is what counts.

That is, the question pertains to your chances of being able to draw and fire timely in the unlikely event that you do have to draw and fire before you are killed or severely injured.

One will likely have very little time indeed, and the time required to rack the slide may well make all the difference, even without a possible malfunction.

That would have a rather large negative impact on the conditional probability of success.

Quote:
...but if you're that unlucky number that does have to pull the trigger, just make sure you're as prepared as you can be.
Which, of course, mitigates against empty chamber carry.

Now, while many people do carry pistols without safeties with their chambers loaded, I do not feel comfortable doing so. My primary reason is the possibility that something might interfere with the trigger during re-holstering. So, while I would not even consider carrying with an empty chamber for self defense, I do choose to carry a firearm with a safety.

Page generated in 0.05267 seconds with 7 queries