View Single Post
Old February 22, 2013, 10:39 PM   #23
Baba Louie

OK... here is my rectal cranial inversion story.

Home alone with the cats and the old rottweiler, everyone else somewhere else, I'm the only human present. In the bedroom sitting in/on the bed with 3 cats keeping me company, rottie laying at end of bed on floor, new Springfield GI, dry firing aiming at sliding closet door circular brass fingerpull, approx 3" diameter, going fast trying to flash picture with those tiny sights, over and over and over while the TV was on. Whatever show I was watching was over. News coming on. Time for bed.

Don't recall sliding a loaded magazine into the .45, but I did it... without thinking, automatically chambered round, safety on (cocked/locked) placed weapon in holster. On Autopilot. News comes on, set holstered weapon on bed, get up to change to another news station, cats and dog look at me as I get back into bed, everyone all ready to settle down for the night, so they do and I should have.

Slide under the covers, reach for holstered weapon to put on nightstand and for some reason pulled it out of the holster for one last "quick flash of closet door pull", thumbed safety down sight aligned on target, finger entered guard, press on trigger BANG!

Cats flying everywhere trying to get the hell outta the room yesterday, rotties head pops up giving me "The LOOK", I safe slide lock safety and I swear to God I looked at the pistol in my hand like "Did you just do that? Really?!"

A really nice little .45" hole dead center in the brass door pull. Holes in 2 shirts in the closet, hole in the wall gyp. board, no holes in the room behind closet. Must have hit a stud and to this day I suppose it resides there still.

Heart beat elevated awaiting the Cops to show up as I assume every neighbor on the street was calling 911. Cats weren't seen for a day or two, LEO never made the scene, ears rang for a bit. Lesson learned. "When you accidently, er, negligently, fire an unloaded pistol you darn well better know where the round is going to go."

Never again.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address

Page generated in 0.04290 seconds with 7 queries