View Single Post
Old February 22, 2013, 12:37 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

any "Wild catters" out there ??? what are you doing ???

don't see much of this stuff... seems the reloading forum is overwhelmed with newbie reloaders... I've been reloading for around 20 years, & like reloading almost as much as shooting... I like coloring out side of the box... I assume there are a few more like me...

some of my odd ball stuff...

1st off, reload alot of different Contender cartridges TCU's etc... most of mine are pretty mainstream...

I bought an Automag 4 many many years ago, & started loading 10 mm magnum... that one gets out there a little... BTW, I chambered my S&W 610 to 10 mag as well, & added a Contender barrel, so I now load that cartridge for 3 different guns...

I started collecting early black powder cartridge era pocket guns, & am now loading one of the early 44 Bull Dog varriants... mine uses light 44-40 bullets & cut off 44 special cases...

I shoot alot of 22 Hornet, but for "S&G", I converted my Raging Hornet to a Dan Wesson style switch barrel, & used a 1 in 9" twist barrel instead of the stock 1 in 12" twist, allowing me to stabilize up to 70 grain bullets out of the 6" revolver barrel... I was so impressed, that I put a 1 in 9" twist barrel on my Ruger 77 Hornet rifle... I really like this combo... some may not think of it as a "wildcat" since I kept the original chamberings, but just try finding reloading data for a 68 grain bullet in the 22 Hornet

next was a combination of the old Velo-Dog cartridge, the 22 CCM, & the 22 rimfire magnum... my Taurus 8 shot 22 magnum was converted to center fire, a couple 100 cases were lathe turned ( I used both free machining steel, & stainless for my case stock ) the cyinder chambers were massaged a little, & I have basically a center fire 22 magnum...

My newest project... some may remember my thread on the 257 magnum from several years back ( I was originally thinking about chambering my "Raging" to 257 magnum, before the fast twist project ) now I'm converting my stainless Ruger Single 10 to an 8 shot 257 "special"... normal wildcat 257 magnum cases are 1.3" long, but on the compact "Single" frame, I only have room for 38 special length cases, so 22 hornet cases will be shortened to 1.1 or 1.2" & the gun will be converted to center fire, & fitted with a new 8 shot cylinder & a .257 chunk of barrel ( the ballance of the barrel will be used for a custom Contender barrel in the same caliber )

I'm sure I may have one of two projects that have slipped my memory that probably count as "wildcats"

so who's in the club, & what are you playing with ???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; February 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM.

Page generated in 0.04448 seconds with 7 queries