View Single Post
Old February 22, 2013, 08:32 AM   #2
Doc Hoy
I am no purist by any stretch.....

...My habits are driven by the fact that I squeeze a nickel until the buffalo S __ __ Ts.

I buy 100% wool hats at thrift shops. I made a wad punch from a piece of steel round stock. (Had to do this because the Cheapo set from Horrible Freight doesn't have the right size.) One hat gives me about a billion wads.

I lube them with my Home Depot lube which (at least up to now) has been Crisco and Wax rings from toilets.

I don't generally use a wad under the ball in cap and ball but when I do, that is the way I do it. Now that I am loading cartridges in .45 LC, .357, and 45-70 I im thinking I need to get more serious with wads.

I also don't shoot muzzle loading long arms any more but when I did, I used old tee shirts with the patch cut slightly large and then trimmed with a sharp knife when the ball is pushed in just even with the crown of the muzzle. I used straight crisco for lube for those patches. That is how I did single shot pistols too.

I must close this post by telling you that 80% of the guys on this forum will cringe when they read my description. There are a hundred better waysw to approach wads, but there aren't many that are cheaper.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. Thomas Jefferson
Page generated in 0.06756 seconds with 7 queries