Thread: AR15 Scope
View Single Post
Old February 21, 2013, 08:54 PM   #6
NWPilgrim

Lots of choices out there. I have a Bushnell red dot on an M1 Carbine that is very compact and only about $150 so it is cheap enough to try out and see if you like it or not. It seems perfectly serviceable. I would agree on the idea of also getting backup iron sights suchas the Magpul or other brand.

On my home defense AR I have an Aimpoint PRO red dot with a Magpul flip up rear sight. The PRO is the best value in very robust, full featured red dot at $400, I think. It is 2-3 times bigger than the Bushnell but much shorter than even a compact scope. Plus, you don't need to have perfect cheekweld position as the red dot is on target regardless of the angle you view it.

A red dot is great for out to 100 yds for very fast target acquisition, moving targets. The closer you expect to shoot pigs the more I would recommend a red dot. But a low power optical scope can be pretty effective as well especially if range is 50-200+ yds. I have a Weaver 1-3x scope on another AR and like it a lot but for under 100 yds I would favor the red dot.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison

Page generated in 0.04703 seconds with 7 queries