View Single Post
Old February 20, 2013, 12:28 PM   #23
Gaerek

Quote:
I 100% agree (I have a mancrush on you right now ). To me the only "accidental" discharge is a result of a mechanical failure of the firearm itself, which in most cases is a result of a poorly maintained firearm and again a fault of the owner. Any time a human is involved it's negligence, pure and simple. I've had a ND. It was a result of stupidity on my part. But because I still obeyed Rules 2 and 4 no one was hurt.
I'm happily married, so, off the market, as it were!

I've read one story (might have seen it here, not sure) of what I would consider a true accidental discharge.

A police officer was going to the hospital to get an MRI. He was armed. He asked the tech what to do with his gun. He thought the tech had said to go into the MRI room with it. Apparently he had said something else. He pulled the gun out to place it somewhere so he could get ready to get his MRI. When the machine was turned on (it's a giant electromagnet), it flung the gun from where it was set and stuck to the machine, and at that moment, the gun fired. It was a 1911. Apparently, not only did the magnet grab the gun, but also moved the firing pin block out of the way. And it stuck with such force that the firing pin struck the primer of round in the chamber. Here's the full story:

http://www.ajronline.org/content/178/5/1092.full.pdf

One could say there was negligence in the miscommunication between the officer and the tech, but none of the 4 rules of firearm handling were broken, and it was just such a freak accident. So, obviously there are accidental discharges, but they are so incredibly rare as to be considered nearly non-existent.

I consider my Glock to be safer than guns that have more safety measures because I am more aware of the fact that there aren't as many safety measures to protect me. When I take my Glock down, I drop the mag, rack the slide. Rack again for good measure. Check the chamber, then check it again. Point the gun in a safe direction, pull the trigger, then disassemble. I follow this procedure each and every time. I'm not saying that we shouldn't design guns that don't require a trigger pull to disassemble, but it's not a dangerous procedure if you have to, as long as you're the one being safe. Someone replied to a thread I posted in earlier today and said something like, "There are no dangerous guns, it's just a hunk of inanimate metal, only dangerous users." There are few truer statements than this.

Page generated in 0.04678 seconds with 7 queries