Thread: Why .41 Magnum?
View Single Post
Old February 17, 2013, 10:59 AM   #32
The .41 magnum cartridge was the result of several popular shooters in the 60's wanting a law enforcement firearm that was between the .357 and the 44 magnum. IIRC, Elmer Keith was one of those shooters, he wanted a lighter load for police carry and a heavy load for play. The .44 was considered way too much for the police ( the cartridge and the heavy gun ). When the cartridge came out unfortunately it was with a hot load and a hotter load and the guns S&W made for it were just as big and heavy as it's big brother. As A result, the cartridge never caught caught on with the police and a very excellent cartridge is falling by the way side. The facts are , in the hands of a capable shooter the 41 mag will do every thing but tap dance and bring you a beer. It does so will slightly lighter bullet and a little less recoil and a much flater trajectory. My Super Blackhawk is accurate and deadly on whitetail. JMHO and I have others
I remember the .41 Magnum "Police" load. It was an non-jacketed lead bullet (gas checked? Not sure...) that was in fact too hot to shoot with comfort. I remember the introduction of the .41 Magnum as a police solution and the controversy that followed...all played out in those days in the Gun Magazines. In short, you are spot-on about it and what happened to it. Except for deer loads, I fired a ton of 220 grain (Saeco four cavity mold), with 6.5 Unique for double action work. Most would likely recommend at least 7 grains of Unique, but I found that 6.5 was ideal for my shooting, plinking, Steel Bowling Pin work.
Owned several .41's including a S&W 58, S&W 57 with 8-3/8 barrel, S&W 657 with 6 in. barrel, and a 4-5/8 Ruger 3-screw Blackhawk.
Have since sold my last .41, still have a lot of 6.5 Unique hand loads, bullets, cases, speed loader block, etc., that I will have to get rid of. Will likely get around to pulling the bullets, salvaging the Unique, selling the primed cases and re-casting the bullets into either .45 ACP, 9MM, 38 Super, .44 Spl., .357 Mag., etc.
Sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes you only pay more for what you get.
Three shots are not a "group"...they are a "few".

If the Bible is the literal, infallible, unerring word of God...where are all those witches I am supposed to kill? (Exodus 22:18)
Page generated in 0.04603 seconds with 7 queries