View Single Post
Old February 14, 2013, 07:15 AM   #35
BlueTrain

To Tom68 from the great state of Alabama, I understand what you're saying. But 1992 seems like only yesterday. However, there is no doubt that real life soldiers do things they see in the movies and vice versa. For instance, my son was a tank crewman for about 15 months in Iraq. Most of that time he was in Tal Afar. The rest of the time his platoon or company was attached to a Marine Corps unit somewhere else (He helped them celebrate the Marine Corps birthday, too). Anyway, I have a photo of him standing in front of his tank. He is armed with his pistol in a private purchase drop-leg holster and a shotgun. I asked him about the shotgun and he said, "Oh, that was just for the photo."

By the way, his unit also had personnel sent to the designated marksman school (or whatever it was) and did receive .50 cal. rifles. He said the unit thought they were useless for their role and they passed them on to infantry units. Also, for a time, they had an attached infantry platoon with their Bradleys. The infantry unit had weapons they never unpacked which stayed in the shipping container. Their own unit had a few captured enemy rifles but apparently they were of no particular interest to anyone and no one used them for anything. They also later turned in their pistols, too, and everyone got some variation of an M4 or M16.

In some armies the introduction of new small arms generally meant that new webbing or pouches were needed. I'm sure you've all seen the special belts that BAR men used in the army (into the 1970s, too). That was also the reason the British started using the large pouches that were used in WWII, so anyone could carry a couple of Bren gun magazines, although it cut down on the amount of rifle ammunition they could carry (made up for with bandoliers). I've never read anything that mentioned how that idea worked out in practice. Although I've known personally a few people who were WWII veterans of other armies, they were all cavalry (when the cavalry had horses). One was Polish and he competed in the 1936 Olympics. He liked to stand about six inches away when he talked to you.
Buy War Bonds.

Page generated in 0.04861 seconds with 7 queries