View Single Post
Old February 12, 2013, 08:46 PM   #10
serf 'rett

Quote:
What would be causing this?
Before we getting to the cause, I think it's worthwhile mentioning a few items.
To start with, there is this:
Quote:
I reloaded several hundred .38 special rounds
Which is perfectly fine if you've been reloading for a while and know the ropes; however, if you are just getting started, it's not a good idea to load "several hundred" before they have been tested. The general recommendation is to load a few rounds for testing, before cranking out a large volume.

Then we have a recommendation:
Quote:
You should be able to reseat the primers.
While this may be possible, it is not something I would ever recommend to someone with limited experience. It is simply too easy to get out the kinetic bullet puller and disassemble the rounds and remove the risk of exploding a cartridge. When the bullet and powder have been removed, then you can reseat the primer with minimal risk (wear eye and ear protection if you do this).

I think the Dillon folks have nailed the cause of the high primers, but there is a very important issue which hasn’t be addressed. That is the issue of inspection. A high primer is a serious issue, even more so in semi autos than revolvers, but it is serious. The high primers should have been caught at the bench during the inspection of the rounds. A progressive is a wonderful machine, but it does not eliminate the necessary checking of the reloaded cartridges if one is just starting out. Once you have cranked the handle thousands of times, you should develop a feel for what is “right” and what felt wrong.

Just my wandering thoughts.

Page generated in 0.05839 seconds with 7 queries