View Single Post
Old February 10, 2013, 02:07 PM   #9
srtolly1

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.willikers View Post
My two cents:
There really is no substitute for instruction from someone who knows what they are doing and can communicate it.
Advice of practice is all good, but without knowing what to practice, the results can be disappointing.
If your gun and sights are not automatically coming back to target, then your technique is probably at fault.
And it's very difficult to figure out what needs work on your own.
This is true. I started shooting USPSA last summer. I found one of the other shooters and talked to him and watched everyone. This is only what works for me, I am by no means an expert.
1) Safety is #1 always.
2) Find a mentor. Someone that shoots competitively and keeps good groups. Talk to them, more than one.
3) The biggest thing I found I was doing was relaxing my grip after each shot making follow up shots slow and unsteady.
4) Sight picture, remember with increasing speed accuracy will suffer. You have to decide how much you will tolerate. I went from 2" to 4" at 10 yds but at a good speed and really, 4" is still pretty good.
5) Lots of practice and dry firing.
6) Safety.

Scott.
I was also told "sights are over rated, top pf the slide is flat, right..." I have combat sights on a 1911 copy and I don't concentrate on my sights, just use them as a guideline.

Page generated in 0.04484 seconds with 7 queries