Thread: rusty woes
View Single Post
Old February 9, 2013, 12:00 PM   #20
Willie Sutton

For what it's worth:

I lost my house in Hurricane Sandy.

I had a small machine shop, with lathe, Bridgeport, five Kennedy boxes of precision tools, multiple spindles, arbors, chucks, rotary tables, etc. About... $100K worth of precision equipment.

All of it went under 8 feet of salt water. Make that a mix of salt water, mud, diesel fuel, and sewerage.

A week later I was able to get back to the house. My machine shop was in ruins. In the interim I had managed to have Dixie Gun Works send a case of Ballistol to a UPS store that was far enough away that they were receiving boxes. I also managed to buy about a dozen large heavy duty plastic tubs from a local commmercial fishing supply, each able to hold about 25 gallons of water.

I took all of the tools, tooling, chucks, micrometers, etc., and put them into the tubs. I filled each one with fresh water from a hose, and poured a half of a bottle of Ballistol into the tub. Stirred it with my hands to make the milk-white emulsion, and walked away. I had (and still have) more pressing things to do....

For the lathe and milling machine, I hosed them both off with garden hoses, sprayed them with a mixture of Ballisol and water from a pump-up garden sprayer, then did the same with a gallon of WD-40, and finally covered them with spray-on aerosol white lithium grease.

I came east a week ago and went into the garage, and found the boxes still full of white water, with a crust of ice on each one. Bear in mind that it's nearly 4 months later. I poked into a few of them and dragged out... perfectly fine tools. No rust, no corrosion. In the spring after we finally get other things rebuilt I will take each tup, drain it, dry the tools, and place them into new tool boxes.

The lathe and milling machine seem fine too.

Ballisol is good stuff.

Page generated in 0.05291 seconds with 7 queries