View Single Post
Old February 9, 2013, 10:47 AM   #12
BigJimP

+1 on these comments too ....

its hard to generalize...you really need to go model by model....

a. I'd focus on caliber first...

b. Then decide on the Frame size that fits your hands the best...and understand the differences that each brand of stocks or grips will make on that particular frame...( there are a lot of different grips or stocks made by S&W and a lot of aftermarket options as well )...

c. Within each frame size...figure out the difference between round butt and square butt frames - and how they feel in your hands .../ you can change the feel with different stocks or grips too.

d. Barrel length...and what you want the gun for ( for me 4" makes a great carry gun - tactical gun in and out of holster, etc / 6" to me is a good woods gun or range gun but too clumsy in and out of a belt holster / 8 3/8" barrels are great range guns ...and you might find you don't like them in some calibers like .357 mag - but you like them a lot in a .44 mag ( or I do anyway )...

and no matter what ...have fun with the process ! - and don't be ashamed to keep a little notebook when you go to shops or gunshows...so you remember certain issues on certain models / or just carry the big book ...

Page generated in 0.04875 seconds with 7 queries